Girdle or griddle?

A cast iron girdle

I am surprised at how many comments I have received about my post about the ladies in Fethiye cooking their bazlama over a girdle.

Lots of tittering and snickering amongst my friends and family (you know who you are), thinking I was suggesting cooking bread over a Playtex 18-hour elasticated garment!

A girdle is a round, flat, cast iron baking stone that you use to cook baked goods over a flame. In my household one of these has always been called a girdle, while a ‘griddle’ is a ridged pan on which you would cook a steak.

If you woud like to acquire one, check this out: Scottish girdle

If you don’t have a girdle, a heavy flat frying pan does more or less the same job, as long as you don’t overcrowd the pan.

Happy girdling. I’m off to the UK today – more on that later.


One thought on “Girdle or griddle?

  1. love your ‘views from my kitchen’, tried the fruit cake recipe, very tasty, will try the other recipes soon. have a great time in England, will you be doing English food, as I’m sure our food won’t be as tasty as your recipes.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s